History and Vision
ANEW (Asset Network for Education Worldwide, Inc.) began in 2005 with a vision and mission to improve industry practice by extending the life cycle of surplus items through reuse, repurposing and recycling. Typically, when a company moves out of its tenant space, the surplus furniture left behind is picked up by a construction demolition crew and hauled to landfill. ANEW saw the wastefulness of this, recognized the value of the surplus and reinvented the liquidation process with Surplus Stewardship™. Through this process ANEW works with companies to steward their surplus furniture and other items away from landfill and back into their communities by matching their surplus to charities, non-profits, public agencies and underserved communities. ANEW educates through action by raising awareness of the social, environmental and economic benefits of Surplus Stewardship™. Every year companies working with ANEW divert more than 3 million pounds of surplus from landfill. Since its inception ANEW has stewarded surplus to more than 2,000 recipient organizations in 20 countries.
ANEW is a 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Los Angeles, CA. In 2015 ANEW expanded its business model and established a presence in Santa Fe, New Mexico. We partner with companies nationwide to help them achieve their sustainability and community outreach goals.
ANEW provides businesses with sustainable solutions that repurpose and distribute their surplus office furniture to local organizations and public service agencies. Our commitment to Surplus Stewardship™ strengthens communities, reduces the amount of waste in our landfills, and helps businesses meet their social and environmental responsibility objectives.
Awards & Recognition
- 2017 Mayor's Sustainability Awards, City of Santa Fe, NM: Runner-up in Sustainable Leadership category for Rose Tourje's conception and implementation of the L.A. to Santa Fe Project.
- 2014 Los Angeles County Green Leadership Award.
- 2012 "ANEW doing what's right with what's left ®" Video
Catalina Film Festival: Official Selection
LA Reel Film Festival: 1st Place Documentary Short
LA Movie Awards: Award of Excellence, Best Editing, Best Visual Effects
Awareness Film Festival: Eco Award
- 2009 Los Angeles Fire Department FCCS.RCN Award - community contribution
- 2008 Friends of the National Arboretum (FONA) - presented to ANEW for public service
- 2008 IFMA - Orange County (CA) Chapter - ANEW presents educational seminar for WESTFAC, receives Certification of Appreciation for sponsoring IFMA
- 2007 SHAREFEST - community development, partnership work day - ANEW sponsor
- 2006 IFMA - Los Angeles Chapter, holiday charity benefit - ANEW sponsor