History and Vision
ANEW (Asset Network for Education Worldwide, Inc.) began in 2005 with a vision and mission to improve industry practice by extending the life cycle of surplus items through reuse, repurposing and recycling. Typically, when a company moves out of its tenant space, the surplus furniture left behind is picked up by a construction demolition crew and hauled to landfill. ANEW saw the wastefulness of this, recognized the value of the surplus and reinvented the liquidation process with Surplus Stewardship™. Through this process ANEW works with companies to steward their surplus furniture and other items away from landfill and back into their communities by matching their surplus to charities, non-profits, public agencies and underserved communities. ANEW educates through action by raising awareness of the social, environmental and economic benefits of Surplus Stewardship™. Every year companies working with ANEW divert, on average, more than 3 million pounds of surplus from landfill. Since its inception ANEW has stewarded surplus to more than 2,000 recipient organizations in 20 countries.
ANEW is a 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Los Angeles, CA. In 2015 ANEW expanded its business model and established an additional presence in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
ANEW is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to growing and strengthening community-based organizations by matching gently used office furniture, appliances and equipment to them using an inventory of items we receive from companies when moving, expanding or right-sizing their businesses. ANEW and its Surplus Stewardship™ program guide a responsible, transparent, verifiable and sustainable process. Surplus Stewardship™ increases the potential for reuse, resale, repurposing and recycling of corporate surplus items to support a circular economy, which promotes vital public and human services worldwide.
We are making a positive and lasting impact on society and the planet every day. We are ANEW, doing what's right with what's left®.
Awards & Recognition
- 2018 eTown eChievement Award to Rose Tourje - Celebrating those who are making a positive difference in their communities and beyond
- 2017 Mayor's Sustainability Awards, City of Santa Fe, NM: Runner-up in Sustainable Leadership category for Rose Tourje's conception and implementation of the L.A. to Santa Fe Project.
- 2014 Los Angeles County Green Leadership Award.
- 2012 "ANEW doing what's right with what's left ®" Video
Catalina Film Festival: Official Selection
LA Reel Film Festival: 1st Place Documentary Short
LA Movie Awards: Award of Excellence, Best Editing, Best Visual Effects
Awareness Film Festival: Eco Award
- 2009 Los Angeles Fire Department FCCS.RCN Award - community contribution
- 2008 Friends of the National Arboretum (FONA) - presented to ANEW for public service
- 2008 IFMA - Orange County (CA) Chapter - ANEW presents educational seminar for WESTFAC, receives Certification of Appreciation for sponsoring IFMA
- 2007 SHAREFEST - community development, partnership work day - ANEW sponsor
- 2006 IFMA - Los Angeles Chapter, holiday charity benefit - ANEW sponsor